Discover more from Chuck Palahniuk's Plot Spoiler
Bring on the Kitten Videos
Aren't they just the cutest things ever!
Okay, here’s your chance to look smart and win stuff. We’re going to take a bunch of ideas I’ve presented here and in the book Consider This and apply them to the novel Heartburn.
But first it’s Quiz time. Some of these are easy, some tougher. Let’s start with the easy ones:
1. What is the clock in Heartburn?
2. What is the gun in Heartburn?
3. What is the thru-line object in the book?
Now the tougher questions:
4. Why is the television producer Richard Finkel introduced so late in the book (page 135) and what’s his purpose?1
5. What’s the purpose of hitting the husband (page 175) in the face with a pie?2
6. Why does the narrator return to New York at the end (think structurally!) ?
7. What Nora Ephron essay served as the prototype for how this book was structured?3
In a couple days I’ll wade in with my answers and to discuss the book in more detail. Please post your answers in the comments below. As always, Good Luck, my beloved kitties!
Again, think structure-wise. Think “classic American novel structure Chuck is always banging on about.”
Written at least a decade before this novel.