It Doesn't Pay to be a Gloomy Gus!
#1 To check if they have any drugs or substances that will help them during the endurance contest.
1. to make sure they didn't bring some contraband
3. the gun is used by the host through out the movie to signal something new and exciting
#3 I think Gloria mightve taken the gun off of Rocky when they hooked up
I’d say the answer to question 2 is sunlight. Several key moments in the film are centered around sunlight coming through doors and windows. Robert basks in the light looks toward openings several times, including both the beginning and end of the film which take place outside the event hall.
1 - Opium
1. To see if they are hiding anything that would make them less than mentally competent, drugs, weapons, booze, sex toys, poppers
1) To search for signs of their personality. They want them to have none, be props in a grizzly reality performance in which the audience installs their own personalities on them, rather than have them pre-formed.
2) For me it was the time-board and the slogan 'how long will they last' that hovered them constantly, ticking down.
3) She didn't. She took it when having her 'moment' with the even organizer.
2. The Dress/Nice Outfits
3. I don't remember
2. Gloria’s dress - to symbolise the riches-to-rags theme
I have no idea about the questions, other than maybe she got the gun from the head of the dance contest. I do look forward to seeing the answers, though.
I just wanted to talk about it. I felt like the ominous beginning where the kid watches the horse being put down made the ending slightly cheaper, but it might be a taste thing. The heaviest part of the film is the allegory of the whole thing, where the contest is life and some people just get tired of going through it. I have friends who suffer depression that I'd never show this film to.
Maybe they search the luggage to find things that they can exploit to make the competition more interesting, which leads to him ruining the dress at one point?
1. They're looking for anything that might affect their performance, like the guy with the medicine
2. The gun; there were cuts to gunshot sounds, the firing of a gun to start the event where they race in circles, the gun for shooting the horse in the flashbacks and the gun at the end that Gloria gives to Robert
3. She stole it from the host (it's the starter pistol) when she goes into the back room with him after she sees Robert and the actress together
1. To make sure they didn't have any restricted substances or objects that would help them get through the contest.
2. The gun comes up at the beginning of endurance events and then winds up being the ultimate end to Gloria's endurance. But I also noticed the disco ball as a constant overseer of their downfall and in the shower scene, the shower head above Alice as she has her breakdown very much mirrors the disco ball. It felt intentional and important.
3. She took it from the host when she seduced him in the office.